A Freelance Design Assistant is a self-employed person who helps designers with creative projects. They work on tasks like drawing, picking colors, and using design software. Their job is flexible, and they join different teams as needed, bringing fresh ideas and helping make designs better.
Best for Growth Marketers
Best for Paid Ads & CMO's
Best for eCommerce Marketing
Table of Contents
This freelance design assistant job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Freelance Design Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking for a Freelance Design Assistant with a creative spark and an eye for detail. If you are passionate about design and eager to learn, this opportunity could be a great fit. Gain experience and grow your skills with us in a dynamic and supportive environment.
- Help with creating design drafts using software like Photoshop or Illustrator.
- Search for images, fonts, and other design materials as needed.
- Make small changes to designs based on feedback.
- Keep all design files organized and up-to-date.
- Follow design guidelines, best practices, and standards closely.
- Work on multiple projects at the same time, staying on schedule.
- Communicate clearly with the design team about tasks and deadlines.
- Prepare design materials for printing or digital publication.
- Stay up-to-date with new design trends and tools.
- Assist in the creation of presentations or pitch materials.
Requirements and Skills
- Proven experience with graphic design, including portfolio of past work.
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Strong visual design skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with diverse teams and communicate ideas effectively.
- Good time-management skills to meet deadlines in a freelance setting.
- Understanding of current design trends and techniques.
- Basic knowledge of pre-press and printing processes.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and client needs.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
Check out our list of interview questions to ask a freelance design assistant to gauge these skills in candidates.
Freelance Design Assistant Rates
Below is a general overview of the typical rates for freelance design assistant. The actual rates may vary based on the experience, the complexity of the project, and other factors.
|$20 – $50
|Fixed Monthly Fee
|$1500 – $3000
|$500 – $5000
Explore Other Job Description Templates
- Freelance Sales Assistant Job Description
- Freelance Marketing Assistant Job Description
- Freelance Growth Marketer Job Description
What does a Freelance Design Assistant do?
A Freelance Design Assistant supports designers by conducting research, creating visuals, sourcing materials, and handling administrative tasks, ensuring smooth project execution and creative development.
What is the difference between Design Assistant and Freelance Design Assistant?
A Design Assistant is typically a full or part-time employee of a company, while a Freelance Design Assistant operates independently, offering services to various clients on a project-by-project basis.
What are some red flags to watch out for when hiring a Freelance Design Assistant?
When hiring a Freelance Design Assistant, beware of inconsistent portfolios, lack of communication skills, reluctance to provide references, and an unwillingness to sign a clear contract.
How do Freelance Design Assistant typically charge for their services?
Freelance Design Assistants typically charge either hourly rates, per-project fees, or retainer agreements, considering their expertise, project complexity, and market standards.