A freelance PR consultant helps businesses communicate with the public. They craft messages, talk to the media, and manage a brand's image. Working independently, they plan strategies, write press releases, and connect with audiences. Their goal is to earn positive attention for those they represent, often working on a project basis.
Best for Growth Marketers
Best for Paid Ads & CMO's
Best for eCommerce Marketing
Table of Contents
This freelance PR consultant job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Freelance PR Consultant Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled Freelance PR Consultant to help shape our company's image. Your expertise in public relations will guide our communication strategies and build strong relationships with media. If you have a talent for storytelling and a passion for connecting with audiences, we're excited to learn more about your approach.
- Create interesting stories about our company to tell the media.
- Write and send out press releases.
- Build and keep good relationships with journalists and influencers.
- Answer journalists' questions quickly and clearly.
- Plan events like press conferences or interviews to help people learn about our company.
- Keep track of what the media says about our company.
- Give us advice on how to talk to the public and the media.
- Write posts for social media that grab people's attention.
- Help our team when they talk to the media.
- Make reports that show how well our PR efforts are working.
Requirements and Skills
- Proven experience in public relations or related field.
- Strong network of media contacts and an understanding of media outreach strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to create and distribute press releases and media kits.
- Experience with social media management and content creation.
- Capability to work independently and meet tight deadlines.
- Skilled in crisis management and public speaking.
- Competency in using PR tools and software for analytics and media monitoring.
- Ability to advise and implement brand management and promotional strategies.
- Flexibility to adapt strategies to different industries and audiences.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Check out our list of interview questions to ask a freelance PR consultant to gauge these skills in candidates.
Freelance PR Consultant Rates
Below is a general overview of the typical rates for freelance PR consultant. The actual rates may vary based on the experience, the complexity of the project, and other factors.
|$50 – $250
|Fixed Monthly Fee
|$1,500 – $5,000
|$500 – $10,000
Explore Other Job Description Templates
- Freelance Media Consultant Job Description
- Freelance Marketing Manager Job Description
- Freelance Marketing Executive Job Description
What does a Freelance PR Consultant do?
A Freelance PR Consultant manages reputation, crafts media strategies, pitches stories, and advises clients on communication tactics to enhance their public image and brand visibility.
What is the difference between PR Consultant and Freelance PR Consultant?
A PR Consultant typically works in-house or for a PR firm, whereas a Freelance PR Consultant operates independently, offering services to various clients on a project-by-project basis.
What are some red flags to watch out for when hiring a Freelance PR Consultant?
When hiring a Freelance PR Consultant, beware of vague strategies, lack of relevant experience, poor communication skills, no clear reporting methods, and an absence of past client testimonials or references.
How do Freelance PR Consultant typically charge for their services?
Freelance PR consultants often charge by the hour, project, or on a retainer basis, with fees varying based on experience, project complexity, and market rates.