Penji is a good alternative to hiring a freelancer if you have ongoing graphic design work. Penji saves you the legwork of finding, hiring, and managing a high-quality designer….and eliminates the possibility of getting overcharged.
See Penji in action for yourself: I tested Penji out and used them to create the blog images next to headings in this review. See what you think.
Their pricing model is unlimited graphic design for a flat monthly fee ($399/month) with no contract. You get a dedicated web designer at a very good price. Let’s take a closer look at how it works and the pluses and minuses.
See why we recommend Kimp over Penji.Read our Kimp Review
Table of Contents
- Penji Overview
- Penji Review
- Penji Promo Code – 25% off Coupon
- Alternatives to Penji
- Frequently Asked Questions
How does Penji's unlimited graphic design work?
You can submit as many design projects and revisions as you want for logos, social media marketing, infographics and more. There are no hidden costs beyond the monthly fee (view Penji's full pricing details).
The only caveat is that designers will work on one project at a time (unless you upgrade to the Agency plan). My experience is that my design requests were turned around quickly (overnight).
Who is the Penji business model good for?
- Bloggers who want to include high quality custom images and infographics in their posts
- Social media marketers who need graphics for Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook
- Agencies who want to supplement their design capabilities without adding staff
- Businesses looking to create ads for PPC campaigns on Facebook, Google, and Instagram
Penji designers will work on just about anything, including:
- Landing pages
- Print material
- Social media
Who uses Penji?
Penji is used by small business as well as big brands like Aweber, the University of Pennsylvania, Lyft, Express, Tide, and Reebok.
Big brands like them because of their rigorous screening process for graphic designers.
Pros: Here’s what I like about Penji
- They’re nice! Everyone I’ve talked to Penji is so pleasant and happy. This should not be understated!
- They are affordable and have no hidden fees. I love Penji’s business model. You don’t have to worry about design projects exceeding budget because it’s a fixed monthly fee.
- They have a strict testing process for graphic designers and only hire the top 2% of all applicants.
- There’s no commitment and you can cancel anytime.
Use Penji for Logo Design: I once paid $1500 to an agency for only 3 logo concepts. With Penji you get unlimited concepts and iterations. If my only graphics need was for a single logo I would still sign up for one month at $399 and then just cancel if I didn't have other work.
- If your designer has a style you don’t like, just let them know and they will assign you another one without any fuss.
- Penji is very responsive to requests no matter the time of day. Because they are international, there’s always someone working. Most requests are turned around in 24-48 hours.
- They have an intuitive dashboard that allows you to easily leave feedback and comments for your designer directly on images.
- If you have more work than one designer can handle, they have an agency plan with 2 dedicated designers. This is really nice if you have a spike in demand…you can upgrade your your plan for a month and then downgrade after the spike.
- I like how you can create a design profile for your brand and upload your logos, colors, fonts, etc. Anytime you create a project for that brand, select the design profile and the designer will follow your brand guidelines.
- I like how you can get shareable links to send designs to your friends or clients to get their feedback.
- Penji gives back to the community! They have a special charitable program serving nonprofits for only $1/month.
Cons: Here are the only things I don’t like about Penji
- If you don’t consistently need design work, you may not get the full value every month. Penji is worth it if you average at least 8-10 hours per month in design work. Keep in mind, even if you only use a few hours a month, they are always on call while a freelancer might not always be available. And you could sign up for Penji for a month when you need them, cancel, and sign up again later as your projects warrant the help.
- You can communicate with designers over email and through the Penji dashboard, but you can’t talk with them directly on the phone. I’m a verbal guy and it’s easiest for me to explain concepts through conversation. That said, if needed, you can talk to a U.S. based project manager who will pass along details to the designers so it ends up being not that different.
- You need to be very detailed in your brief. Turnaround is slower than some other providers. I submitted a couple projects and got some designs where directions weren't followed properly. This resulted in some unnecessary iterations, limiting the amount of projects that I could get complete each month.
Video Review & Walkthrough of Penji
Penji Promo Code – 25% off Coupon
So are you ready try to Penji? Use this exclusive coupon to get a discount.
Where do I enter the Penji promo code?
First, choose a pricing plan: either Pro, Team, or Agency. You will have the option to pay monthly or annually (for a 15% discount off the entire year).
You'll then see a field to apply the GEOFF25 promo code for 25% off the first month (in addition to annual prepayment savings).
Get 25% off your first month with coupon code: GEOFF25 (enter at checkout). Visit Penji.co
Alternatives to Penji
Penji is a great option to find affordable and high-quality graphic designers.
However, if you are looking for an alternative, there are similar companies that also provide a monthly subscription model for unlimited graphic design.
If you’re looking for more options, we've reviewed the top alternatives to Penji:
- Kimp – Read our review + promo code
- ManyPixels – Read our review + promo code
- Design Pickle – Read our review
- DarkRoast- Read our review
Also check out our Unlimited Graphic Design Services Comparison which breaks down each of these providers and our top 2 picks.
Frequently Asked Questions
You get an unlimited number of graphic design projects and revisions for a fixed monthly fee. The only limitation is that designers fulfill requests one at time, unless you pay a little extra for more than one designer. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.
Penji designers will work on just about anything, including logos, infographics, websites and social media, apps, print materials, tshirts, and illustrations. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.
Average design requests are turned around within 24 to 48 hours. However, if your request is more complex with several components it will likely take more time. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.
No, but they provide a 15-day money-back guarantee. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.
Penji has 3 pricing plans.
The “Pro” plan is $399 per month. It includes 1 dedicated designer and up to 2 users.
The “Team” plan is $499 per month. It includes 1 dedicated designer, up to 5 users, web and app design, illustrations, and a dedicated account manager.
The “Agency” plan is $899 per month. It includes 2 dedicated designers, up to 10 users, web and app design, illustrations, and a dedicated account manager..
Learn more and get a Penji coupon here. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.
No, all taxes and fees are included in the fixed monthly price. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.
No, you pay monthly and can cancel anytime. Learn more and get a Penji coupon here.