In the past few years, the world of freelancing has grown exponentially. The appeal of becoming your own boss and setting your own schedule is causing more and more people to ditch the 9-5 and transition to freelancing full-time.
Among the most popular of these freelancing professions is freelance marketing.
But what is a freelance marketer? And what exactly do they do?
Let’s take a look.
Table of Contents
What Does a Freelance Digital Marketer Do?
Freelance digital marketing is a sort of umbrella term under which many different specialties fall, but they all work toward a similar end goal: helping a business grow its online presence. (We’re going to be talking about digital marketing here because, honestly, you won’t find many freelancers creating billboards or listing ads in the newspaper.)
A freelance marketer will spend their day copywriting, social media marketing, creating branding and ad campaigns, or helping businesses with SEO (search engine optimization) strategy.
What makes someone a freelancer in these fields is that they often work with multiple companies, typically on a contract basis. Many companies will hire someone to write just a few articles or create a social media ad campaign short-term, and the freelancers have the freedom of choosing who they want to work with and how much work they are willing to take on at a time.
Types of Freelance Digital Marketers
Check out our post on the best websites to hire digital marketers.
This catch-all term includes these different types of freelancers:
- SEO Specialist – Someone who analyzes and optimizes a company’s website with key phrases that allow sites to appear higher up in search results.
- Social Media Manager – Creates and implements strategies for companies to grow their follower count and reach their target audience on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Email Marketer – Creates original content to send current and future customers in an email marketing campaign.
- Article, Copy, and Content Writers – Writes informational articles, blog posts, and more for companies to post to their sites.
- PPC (Pay Per Click) Specialist – Use their skills to maximize results in pay-per-click ad campaigns.
How Much Do Freelance Marketers Make?
How much freelance marketers make depends on their level of expertise, their specialty, and other factors like what industry they are marketing for.
One of the many appeals to freelancing is that freelancers can set their own rates on a per-hour or per-project basis.
As a whole, freelance marketers earn an average of about $63,000 per year in the United States, though some can earn upwards of $100,000.
Due to the freedom it offers, freelance digital marketing is one of the fastest-growing job markets today. There are plenty of unique ways that freelancers can use their skills to make a living doing this flexible job.