A freelance communications consultant helps organizations share their message effectively. They write press releases, manage social media, and advise on communication strategies. This independent expert works with different clients, often juggling multiple projects, to improve how these clients talk to their audience and make their information clear and appealing.
Best for Growth Marketers
Best for Paid Ads & CMO's
Best for eCommerce Marketing
Table of Contents
This freelance communications consultant job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Freelance Communications Consultant Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled Freelance Communications Consultant who can expertly craft messages and advise on the best ways to share them. If you love creating communication strategies and enjoy the flexibility of freelance work, this opportunity could be your perfect match.
- Plan how to share information about the company's work in clear ways.
- Write easy-to-read articles, social media posts, and emails for different audiences.
- Check all communication materials to make sure they are correct and easy to understand.
- Help the company speak with one voice by using the same words and style in all materials.
- Give advice on the best ways to talk to people about the company's work.
- Work with other team members to make sure messages are shared at the right time.
- Keep track of how well communication activities are working and suggest improvements.
- Stay up to date on the best ways to share information and talk to people.
- Handle any problems with communication quickly and professionally.
- Teach the company's staff how to communicate better if needed.
Requirements and Skills
- Proven experience in communications, public relations, or a related field.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with the ability to create clear and compelling content.
- Excellent verbal communication skills for effective client interactions and presentations.
- Proficiency in social media platforms and digital communication tools.
- Ability to develop and implement communication strategies that align with client goals.
- Experience with content management systems and basic understanding of SEO principles.
- Capability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with close attention to detail.
- Flexibility to adjust strategies and content in response to analytics and feedback.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Proficiency in using graphic design software is a plus.
- Knowledge of industry best practices and a commitment to staying informed on communications trends.
Check out our list of interview questions to ask a freelance communications consultant to gauge these skills in candidates.
Freelance Communications Consultant Rates
Below is a general overview of the typical rates for freelance communications consultant. The actual rates may vary based on the experience, the complexity of the project, and other factors.
|Payment Structure||Rates (USD)|
|Hourly Rate||$50 – $200|
|Fixed Monthly Fee||$1,500 – $5,000|
|Project-Based Fee||$500 – $10,000|
Explore Other Job Description Templates
- Freelance Creative Director Job Description
- Freelance Digital Marketer Job Description
- Freelance Email Marketing Job Description
What does a Freelance Communications Consultant do?
A Freelance Communications Consultant strategizes and executes communication plans, manages public relations, and enhances media engagement to improve clients' brand image and reach.
What is the difference between Communications Consultant and Freelance Communications Consultant?
A Communications Consultant is typically employed by a firm, while a Freelance Communications Consultant operates independently, offering services to multiple clients on a project or retainer basis.
What are some red flags to watch out for when hiring a Freelance Communications Consultant?
Beware of consultants with vague portfolios, lack of specific client testimonials, reluctance to commit to measurable goals, poor communication practices, and an absence of a clear work process.
How do Freelance Communications Consultant typically charge for their services?
Freelance Communications Consultants usually charge either by the hour, per project, or through retainer fees, with rates varying based on experience, project scope, and market demand.