Navigating the SaaS landscape can feel like sailing in uncharted waters. A well-structured marketing team serves as the compass, steering the business towards success.
Each role within this team is crucial. They collectively build bridges, connecting your product to the world. I speak from experience from running my own marketing agency, GrantSpark.
But first, let's talk about the SaaS Marketing department structures you have to choose from.
Best for Growth Marketers
Best for Paid Ads & CMO's
Best for eCommerce Marketing
Table of Contents
Structuring SaaS Marketing Department
There are two main types of department structures based on company size and resources.
- SaaS Marketing department structure by discipline
- Org Type: Traditional corporate departments
- Best For: Midsize/Enterprise companies
- SaaS Marketing department structure by function
- Org Type: Employees are grouped by activities and objectives
- Best For: Small to Medium Sized Business (SMB)
Let’s go in-depth to each one of them.
1. SaaS Marketing Department Structure by Discipline
Discipline-based structure involves building teams centered around various marketing disciplines. For example, SEO, Content, Market Research, and Product Strategy could each form separate teams within a department.
|Discipline||Key Skills||Potential Roles|
|Content||Writing, SEO, Storytelling, Research, Content Analysis||Content Marketing Manager, Content Strategist, SEO Specialist, Copywriter|
|Social Media||Social Media Strategy, Analytics, Trend Identification, Creativity, Copywriting||Social Media Manager, Social Media Specialist, Community Manager|
|Email Marketing, Copywriting, Analytics, CRM, Segmentation||Email Marketing Manager, CRM Specialist, Marketing Automation Specialist|
|Data Analysis||Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Statistical Analysis, Reporting, Marketing Analytics||Data Analyst, Marketing Analyst, Marketing Data Scientist|
|Product Marketing||Product Knowledge, Market Research, Competitive Analysis, Cross-functional Collaboration, Positioning||Product Marketing Manager, Market Research Analyst, Product Marketing Specialist|
|SEO||Keyword Research, SEO Tools, Link Building, Content Optimization, Technical SEO||SEO Manager, SEO Analyst, SEO Specialist|
|Performance Marketing||PPC, SEO, Social Media Advertising, Analytics, Conversion Rate Optimization||Performance Marketing Manager, PPC Specialist, Conversion Rate Optimization Specialist|
|PR & Communications||Public Relations, Media Relations, Press Release Writing, Crisis Management, Corporate Communication||PR Manager, Communications Specialist, PR Coordinator|
2. SaaS Marketing Department Structure by Function
Another approach is structuring by function, where teams are formed based on the different functions they perform. For example, promotion, launches, and relationship management could all be separate teams.
|Function||Key Skills||Potential Roles|
|Customer Success||Customer Relationship, Analytical Thinking, Communication, Problem Solving, Product Knowledge||Customer Success Manager, Customer Success Specialist, Customer Success Associate|
|Brand Management||Brand Strategy, Creative Direction, Market Research, Cross-functional Collaboration, Communication||Brand Manager, Brand Strategist, Brand Specialist|
|Partnership Marketing||Partnership Development, Relationship Management, Negotiation, Strategic Planning, Communication||Partnership Marketing Manager, Partnership Coordinator, Relationship Manager|
|Event Planning||Event Management, Organizational Skills, Networking, Attention to Detail, Time Management||Event Marketing Manager, Event Planner, Event Coordinator|
|Lead Generation||Prospecting, Lead Qualification, CRM, Analytics, Sales and Marketing Alignment||Lead Generation Specialist, Business Development Representative, Demand Generation Manager|
|Growth Marketing||SEO, A/B Testing, User Acquisition, Data Analysis, Funnel Optimization||Growth Marketing Manager, Growth Hacker, User Acquisition Specialist|
SaaS Marketing Team Size versus Business Scale
To achieve successful marketing outcomes, you need to align the team size with your business's scale – a strategic approach that helps optimize resources and drive targeted growth.
|Business Scale||Ideal Department Size||Explanation|
|Start-up||1-3||Minimal resources, focus on key marketing strategies.|
|Small-Medium Business||4-10||More resources, diverse strategies, still maintain lean operation.|
|Large Enterprise||10+||Complex marketing needs, large customer base, multiple marketing channels.|
Factors to Consider When Deciding On a SaaS Marketing Department Structure
- Business Goals: Understand your company's objectives and align your marketing strategy accordingly. This will guide the team structure and help in setting the right priorities.
- Target Audience: Identify who your potential customers are. This knowledge will influence the type of expertise needed in your team, and the marketing channels you focus on.
- Budget: Determine how much you can spend on marketing. This can affect the size of your team, the tools you use, and the scope of your marketing campaigns.
- Team Expertise: Evaluate the skills and knowledge of your current team. You may need to hire new members or provide additional training to meet your marketing goals.
- Product Complexity: Consider the intricacy of your SaaS product. If your product is complex, you might require a more specialized marketing team.
Explore other marketing departments:
- Marketing Automation Team Structure
- Nonprofit Marketing Team Structure
- Email Marketing Team Structure
So, there you have it, a detailed overview of a SaaS Marketing team structure. From the essence of the team and key roles, to structuring and optimizing; every aspect tailored to achieve success on your business blueprint.