Texting with your bank or your doctor may not be like messaging a friend, but it can be incredibly convenient and reassuring for patients. Healthcare providers can leverage SMS marketing to streamline and improve their patient experience.
In this guide, we dive into the top ways to use SMS marketing in healthcare and share some helpful templates you can use.
Best for Small Businesses
Best for Medium to Enterprise
Why Use SMS in Healthcare Video
When & How to Use SMS in Healthcare
SMS in healthcare isn’t only great for communicating with patients; it’s a helpful internal tool as well. Use texts to remind employees of their schedules. You can also use them to track attendance and send out other important internal memos.
- Shift Confirmation Request
- Hello [Staff Name], we need to confirm your availability for an additional shift on [Date] at [Time]. Can you work this shift? Please reply ‘Yes' or ‘No' as soon as possible. Your response is vital.
- Shift Reminders
- Hello [Staff Name], a reminder of your upcoming shift at [Hospital/Clinic Name]. Date: [Date] Time: [Time]. Please confirm your availability by replying with ‘Yes' or ‘No.' Thank you!
- Shift Change Notice
- Hi [Staff Name], there has been a change in your upcoming shift schedule. Your new shift is on [Date] at [Time]. Please acknowledge this change by replying with ‘Yes.' Thank you for your flexibility.
- Shift Cancellation
- Hi [Staff Name], we regret to inform you that your shift on [Date] at [Time] has been canceled due to low patient volume. We appreciate your understanding, and you'll still receive your regular compensation for this shift.
Aftercare Follow Ups
It can be tough to remember everything the doctor tells you at an appointment. Help patients keep track of their aftercare and medical recommendations by sending an aftercare text.
In the aftercare message, you can send critical notes from the doctor, reminders for when to come in next, and any details about necessary medications.
Here are some helpful templates:
- General Aftercare Follow-Up
- Hello [Patient's Name], this is [Healthcare Organization Name]. We hope you're recovering well after your recent [Procedure/Treatment]. Please reply with ‘YES' if you have any questions or concerns, or ‘NO' if you're doing well. Your health is our priority.
- Medication Adherence Reminder
- Hi [Patient's Name], a friendly reminder to take your prescribed medications as instructed. Proper medication adherence is essential for a smooth recovery. If you have any questions about your medications, please let us know
- New Appointment Scheduling Reminder
- Hello [Patient's Name], it's time to schedule your follow-up appointment with Dr. [Doctor's Name]. Please reply with your preferred date and time, and we'll do our best to accommodate your schedule.
Appointment reminders are essential for SMS in healthcare, especially since many are booked well in advance. Send an appointment confirmation once an appointment is booked, and a few reminders as the date gets closer.
Make sure to include the date, time, and reason for the appointment. This is a simple way to reduce lateness and no-shows.
Here are a few templates to help:
- Appointment Confirmation
- Hello [Patient's Name], this is [Healthcare Organization Name]. We've scheduled your appointment with Dr. [Doctor's Name] on [Date] at [Time]. Please reply ‘YES' to confirm or ‘NO' to reschedule. Thank you!
- Upcoming Future Appointment Reminder
- Hi [Patient's Name], a friendly reminder of your upcoming appointment with Dr. [Doctor's Name] on [Date] at [Time]. We look forward to seeing you soon. If you need to reschedule, please call us at [Phone Number].
- Day Before Appointment Reminder
- Hello [Patient's Name], your appointment with Dr. [Doctor's Name] is tomorrow at [Time] at [Address]. Please remember to bring any required documents or medications. If you need to reschedule, call us at [Phone Number].
Send an SMS to let patients know of test results or important healthcare notices. If necessary, the message can include a prompt to schedule a follow-up appointment.
Try out these SMS templates for healthcare notices:
- Lab Test Result Notification
- Hello [Patient's Name], we have your recent lab test results. Your [Test Name] results are [Result Value]. If you have any questions or need to discuss these results, please call us at [Phone Number].
- Preventative Healthcare Reminder
- Hi [Patient's Name], it's time for your annual check-up! Regular check-ups are essential for your health. Please call us at [Phone Number] to schedule your preventative healthcare appointment.
- Follow-up Appointment Reminder
- Hello [Patient's Name], a friendly reminder of your follow-up appointment with Dr. [Doctor's Name] on [Date] at [Time]. Your continued care is important to us. If you need to reschedule, please call us at [Phone Number].
Send patients updates about their medications. Let them know when the doctor has sent a prescription. Pharmacies can let patients know when a prescription is filled and ready for pickup as well. You can also send reminders when patients need to get a prescription refilled or renewed.
These templates may be helpful:
- Prescription Sent Notification
- Hello [Patient's Name], your prescription from Dr. [Doctor's Name] has been sent to [Pharmacy Name]. You can pick up your medication at [Pharmacy Address] once it's ready. If you have any questions, please call us at [Phone Number].
- Prescription Ready for Pickup
- Hi [Patient's Name], your prescription is ready for pickup at [Pharmacy Name] located at [Pharmacy Address]. Please collect it at your convenience. If you need a refill, let us know, and we'll assist you.
- Medication Renewal Reminder
- Hello [Patient's Name], it's time to renew your prescription for [Medication Name]. To ensure uninterrupted treatment, please call us at [Phone Number] or request a renewal online. Your health is our priority
- Prescription Refill Confirmation
- Hi [Patient's Name], your prescription for [Medication Name] has been successfully renewed. You can pick up your refill at [Pharmacy Name] at [Pharmacy Address]. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Help patients make informed healthcare decisions and improve their overall experience with patient education texts. Share helpful facts, information about various healthcare services, and advice for improving wellness.
Here are some examples of templates healthcare organizations can use for patient education:
- Healthy Lifestyle Tips
- Hi [Patient's Name], did you know that regular exercise and a balanced diet can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes? Learn more about healthy living at [Website Link].
- Preventative Care Information
- Hi [Patient's Name], regular check-ups can catch health issues early. Schedule your annual check-up today to stay on top of your health. Call us at [Phone Number] for an appointment.
- Health Awareness Campaigns
- Hello [Patient's Name], October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Regular screenings can save lives. Learn more about breast health and screening options at [Website Link].
Best for Small Businesses
Best for Medium to Enterprise
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the use cases of SMS for healthcare?
Healthcare organizations can use SMS for employee scheduling, appointment reminders, prescription updates, healthcare notices, and more.
What is the best SMS tool for healthcare?
Some of the best SMS tools for healthcare include SimpleTexting, TextMagic, Mobile Text Alerts, and Omnisend.
What are the limitations of SMS for healthcare?
The major consideration of SMS marketing in the healthcare industry is HIPAA considerations. All text messaging from healthcare providers must be HIPPA compliant and secure to protect health information. The security and HIPPA maintenance can lead to higher IT costs as well.