Graphic design teams are pivotal in our ever-evolving business landscapes. Their expertise shapes visual communication, driving brand impact.
Crafting such a team requires careful thought. This involves understanding roles, coordinating skills, and fostering collaboration. I speak from experience from running my own marketing agency, GrantSpark.
But first, let's talk about the Graphic Design department structures you have to choose from.
Best for Growth Marketers
Best for Paid Ads & CMO's
Best for eCommerce Marketing
Table of Contents
Structuring Graphic Design Department
There are two main types of department structures based on company size and resources.
- Graphic Design department structure by discipline
- Org Type: Traditional corporate departments
- Best For: Midsize/Enterprise companies
- Graphic Design department structure by function
- Org Type: Employees are grouped by activities and objectives
- Best For: Small to Medium Sized Business (SMB)
Let’s go in-depth to each one of them.
1. Graphic Design Department Structure by Discipline
Discipline-based structure involves building teams centered around various marketing disciplines. For example, SEO, Content, Market Research, and Product Strategy could each form separate teams within a department.
|Discipline||Key Skills||Potential Roles|
|Branding||Brand development, Identity design, Visual strategy, Logo design, Color theory||Brand Designer, Brand Strategist, Creative Director|
|UI/UX||User research, Interaction design, Wireframing, Prototyping, Usability testing||UI Designer, UX Designer, Interaction Designer|
|Illustration||Digital drawing, Concept development, Storyboarding, Character design, Visual storytelling||Illustrator, Concept Artist, Art Director|
|Layout design, Typography, Color management, Print production, Prepress knowledge||Print Designer, Packaging Designer, Production Artist|
|Web Design||HTML/CSS, Responsive design, Content management systems, Graphic design, Cross-browser compatibility||Web Designer, Front-end Developer, Web Developer|
|Motion Graphics||Animation, Video editing, Storyboarding, 3D modeling, Visual effects||Motion Designer, Video Editor, Animator|
|Typography||Font design, Layout skills, Typesetting, Legibility, Understanding of readability||Typography Designer, Font Designer, Layout Designer|
|Photography||Image composition, Photo editing, Lighting, Color grading, Digital photography||Photographer, Photo Editor, Art Director|
2. Graphic Design Department Structure by Function
Another approach is structuring by function, where teams are formed based on the different functions they perform. For example, promotion, launches, and relationship management could all be separate teams.
|Function||Key Skills||Potential Roles|
|Concept Development||Creativity, Critical thinking, Visualization, Storyboarding, Sketching||Creative Director, Art Director, Visual Designer|
|Project Management||Organization, Time management, Leadership, Communication, Problem-solving||Project Manager, Design Manager, Art Director|
|Quality Control||Attention to detail, Knowledge of design standards, Critical thinking, Problem-solving, Communication||Quality Assurance Specialist, Senior Designer, Design Manager|
|Client Relationships||Communication, Empathy, Customer service, Problem-solving, Business acumen||Account Manager, Client Services Director, Design Consultant|
|Design Strategy||Market research, Trend analysis, Brand awareness, Creative thinking, Communication||Design Strategist, Creative Director, Brand Manager|
|Technical Execution||Proficiency in design software, Technical drawing, Prototyping, Coding skills, Adaptability||Technical Designer, Production Artist, Graphic Designer|
Graphic Design Team Size versus Business Scale
To achieve successful marketing outcomes, you need to align the team size with your business's scale – a strategic approach that helps optimize resources and drive targeted growth.
|Business Scale||Ideal Department Size||Explanation|
|Start-up||1-2||Minimal design needs, limited budget.|
|Small-Medium Business||3-5||Diverse design needs, balanced team for budget.|
|Large Enterprise||6+||Complex design needs, large budget available.|
Factors to Consider When Deciding On a Graphic Design Department Structure
- Team Skills: Ensure the team has a diverse skill set. This encompasses various aspects of graphic design such as typography, color theory, and user interface design.
- Team Size: The size of the team should align with the scope and scale of your projects. Bigger isn't always better; a small, efficient team can often deliver more effective results.
- Communication: Good communication is crucial for team efficiency. Establish clear lines of communication and make sure everyone understands their roles and responsibilities.
- Project Management: Effective project management is key to meeting deadlines and ensuring quality. This includes setting realistic timelines and using project management tools.
- Creative Environment: Foster a creative and inspiring work environment. This encourages team members to think outside the box and produce innovative designs.
Explore other marketing departments:
- Market Research Team Structure
- Marketing Analytics Team Structure
- Marketing and Business Development Team Structure
So, there you have it, a detailed overview of a Graphic Design team structure. From the essence of the team and key roles, to structuring and optimizing; every aspect tailored to achieve success on your business blueprint.