Over the past 20 years, my business partners and I have hired hundreds of different types of programmers for many different software companies. Through this experience, it’s safe to say we’ve gained plenty of knowledge regarding the dos and don’ts of hiring the right programmers for the job.
Here’s a checklist to reference the next time your company needs to hire a WooCommerce programmer.
Best for Hiring Freelancers
Best for Hiring Employees
Table of Contents
- What is WooCommerce Used For?
- What to Look for When Hiring a WooCommerce Developer
- How to Write a WooCommerce Developer Job Description
- WooCommerce Interview questions
- Freelance WooCommerce Developer Rates
- Where to Hire a WooCommerce Developer – Top Websites
- Developer Hiring Guides
What is WooCommerce Used For?
WooCommerce is an open-source, completely customizable eCommerce platform for entrepreneurs worldwide. Go beyond the confines of traditional eCommerce solutions, and be limited only by your own imagination.
WooCommerce is built on WordPress, the software powering more than 34% of the web. Regularly audited by Sucuri, an industry leader in security, you’re in good hands.
Content and SEO
Working on top of the world’s most popular content management system, WooCommerce seamlessly integrates commerce with content. Everything you need is in one place.
With WooCommerce you can sell anything from physical products and digital downloads to subscriptions, content and even appointments.
WooCommerce is entirely open source, you can modify and customize anything and everything. It is really made for developers and was built by more than 350 contributors from around the globe, WooCommerce has developers at the heart. It is actively being developed and managed on GitHub, so developers can contribute to the core software and collaborate with fellow developers to build the future of eCommerce.
What to Look for When Hiring a WooCommerce Developer
When hiring a WooCommerce programmer, there are a few things you have to consider including experience, rates, and the type of work arrangement. It also depends on the type of project you have and what skills you need to complete it.
WooCommerce Developer Required Skills
Here are some of the basic skills that a WooCommerece expert is expected to have:
- Full knowledge of all functions on WooCommerce and WordPress
- General familiarity with technology
- An understanding of how web servers operate
- Be creative and have a grasp of art and design principles
- Developing Custom WordPress Themes
- Integration with popular payment systems
- Strong widget development skills
WooCommerce developers should have some experience with the following:
- Converting Photoshop (PSD) to the XHTML files for a template use
- Creating a WooCommerce website from scratch
- Updating existing WooCommerce websites
- Installing security patches and fixing bugs
- Implementing front-end changes
How to Write a WooCommerce Developer Job Description
Writing the perfect WooCommerce developer job description is essential to ensure that you can attract the top developers. It's also important to ensure that you set the proper expectations up-front to streamline the vetting process, saving everyone time and money.
WooCommerce Developer Job Description Template
Use this section to write 2-3 sentences about your company. Make sure to provide information about the company culture and benefits. This would be a good section to link to your company website. The best candidates will do some advanced research.
Our company is looking for a talented WooCommerce developer that will be in charge of maintaining our eCommerce website. Your main tasks will be to develop new modules and apply continuous front-end changes to help us scale our online business.
- Regularly update our WooCommerce installation
- Install security patches
- Develop new functionality
- Implement front-end changes
- Add other responsibilities here that are important for the project/job
- Strong object-oriented programming knowledge
- Very good PHP knowledge
- Extensive HTML & CSS knowledge
- Shopify certification is a bonus
- Specify other frameworks, libraries, or any other technology relevant to your project/job
- Education level or certification requirements
WooCommerce Interview questions
When looking to hire a WooCommerce expert, consider asking some of the following interview questions:
- What are the major benefits of using WooCommerce over other ecommerce solutions?
- How many years of experience do you have in eCommerce Development Projects?
- What are the recent eCommerce projects you have worked upon?
- Can you perform data migration and integration?
- What are some of the top features of WooCommerce?
- Are there any limitations to using WooCommerce when building my ecommerce business?
- How can you improve the performance of a WooCommerce website?
- How would you go about developing a custom WooCommerce theme?
Freelance WooCommerce Developer Rates
The average annual pay for a WooCommerce Developer in the United States is $90,639 a year. When hiring a freelance WooCommerce developer, you can expect to pay $59 on average per hour. WooCommerce freelancer rates can range from $20-$125 per hour depending on the developer’s experience, where they are located, their availability, and other programming languages required.
Check out our detailed pricing guide for more freelance web developer rates.
Where to Hire a WooCommerce Developer – Top Websites
Read our list of the top websites to hire a WooCommerce developer.
Developer Hiring Guides
If you are looking for other types of technical talent, we’ve put together hiring guides for these technologies as well.
- iOS / Android
Where can I find a WooCommerce developer?
There are many places where you can find and hire a WooCommerce developer online. If you're looking for a full-time developer, you can try popular job boards like Indeed and LinkedIn. For the best freelancers, consider using a remote hiring platform focused on placing programmers like Upstack or Toptal. You can also find WooCommerce developers on general freelancing marketplaces like Upwork and Fiverr.
How much does it cost to hire a WooCommerce developer?
The average annual pay for a WooCommerce Developer in the United States is $90,639 a year. When hiring a freelance WooCommerce developer, you can expect to pay $59 on average per hour. WooCommerce freelancer rates can range from $20-125 per hour depending on the developer’s experience, where they are located, their availability, and other programming languages required.
What are the most important skills to look for in a WooCommerce developer?
What does a WooCommerce developer do?
WooCommerce developers are responsible for designing, developing, maintaining, and continuously building their clients’ eCommerce websites. They performs a number of specific tasks including the setup and configuration of WooCommerce, building themes and custom functions of WordPress websites, optimizing site performance, and integrating various technologies and third-party applications.