Django is more than just a hit Quentin Tarantino move. It's one of the most popular backend programming frameworks in the world. But if you don't have experience hiring a programmer, you may not know what to look for in a Django programmer.
In this article, we will explain the best uses for Django, where to find the best talent, and what to look for to ensure your next hire is a success.
Best Place to Hire Django Developers
Our Rating – 4.9/5
Upstack is a global network of experienced and well-vetted software developers, web developers, and engineers.
- Top 1% of development talent in the world.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and rigorous screening to match you with the best developer.
- No commitment required. 14-day risk-free trial.
Table of Contents
- What is Django Used For?
- What to Look for When Hiring a Django Developer
- How to Write a Django Developer Job Description
- Django Interview questions
- Freelance Django Developer Rates
- Where to Hire a Django Developer – Top Websites
- Developer Hiring Guides
What is Django Used For?
Django is a popular Python framework for building web applications. The framework is designed to help developers write simple code to handle the back-end of websites in the model-template-views architecture pattern.
Here are some common uses of the Django framework.
The primary use for Django is to develop web applications, by allowing users to write back-end code in Python. Examples of web apps that have used Django include Instagram, Dropbox, and Spotify.
An API (application programming interface) is an application that allows you to share data or programming functions with other developers. Common APIs include the Twitter API for accessing tweets and the Open Weather Maps API for getting weather data. Since Django handles web queries and packets, developers are free to handle the logic in the back-end.
Large websites need administration panels so that their moderators can ensure that no unwanted content is submitted to their site. Django contains built-in functionality to develop admin panels with ease, and several third-party extensions exist to add different items to these panels without the need to write more complex code.
What to Look for When Hiring a Django Developer
When hiring a Django programmer, there are a few things you have to consider including experience, rates, and the type of work arrangement. It also depends on the type of project you have and what skills you need to complete it.
Django Required Skills
Here are some of the basic skills that a Django Developer is expected to have:
- Python 2 or Python 3 programming language
- The Django framework
- Virtual environments with Pipenv
- Building and using APIs with Python
Django developers should have some experience with the following:
- The model-template-views architecture pattern
- Relational databases such as SQLite3, MySQL, or PostgreSQL
- Understanding of web markup, including HTML and CSS code
- Object-oriented programming (OOP) and web development
- Web security such as SQL injections and CSRF attacks
- Web servers such as Apache or Nginx
- Testing and debugging Django programs
- Page inspection and web browser developer console
- Enterprise, commercial, and open-source projects
How to Write a Django Developer Job Description
Writing the perfect Django job description is essential to ensure that you can attract the top developers. It's also important to ensure that you set the proper expectations up-front to streamline the vetting process, saving everyone time and money.
Django Developer Job Description Template
Use this section to write 2-3 sentences about your company. Make sure to provide information about the company culture and benefits. This would be a good section to link to your company website. The best candidates will do some advanced research.
We are looking for a Django developer who is able to take responsibility for their work and code new features to the highest quality. Your primary responsibility will be the implementation of server-side code, but you will also write test code using the Django framework and create templates with designers. You will work in an agile environment with front-end and back-end developers to improve our website.
- Write clean, efficient, and reusable Python code
- Develop new web features
- Produce unit test code and test plans for existing and new code
- Optimize features for usability, speed, and resource efficiency
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Ensure that user data passed to the back-end is correct
- Add other responsibilities here that are important for the project/job
- Strong proficiency in Python, including functions in the standard library
- Strong proficiency with the Django framework
- Integrating databases into web applications
- Familiarity with ORM (Object Relational Mapper) libraries
- Familiarity with event-driven programming in Python
- Automated testing with Django
- Understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Specify other frameworks, libraries, or any other technology relevant to your project/job
- Education level or certification requirements
Django Interview questions
When looking to hire a Django developer, consider asking some of the following interview questions:
- What is the model-template-views architecture pattern?
- What is the typical file structure for Django applications?
- Is it possible to use NoSQL databases with Django? If so, how?
- What is a QuerySet in Django?
- What is the Django Rest Framework (DRF)?
- How does Django handle GET and POST requests?
- How can you handle user-submitted files in Django?
- What is a session in Django?
- What are the differences between Django and Flask?
- When would you use Django instead of Flask?
Freelance Django Developer Rates
The average salary for a Django developer is $102,063 per year in the United States. When hiring a Django freelancer, you can expect to pay $50.78 on average per hour. Django freelancer rates can range from $20-$100 per hour depending on the developer's experience, where they are located, their availability, and other programming languages required.
Check out our detailed pricing guide for more freelance software developer rates.
Where to Hire a Django Developer – Top Websites
Where to find Django developers will ultimately depend on a few factors. Consider product duration, developer experience, cost, and how much time you're willing to put into the hiring process.
Here are our top 2 favorite places to find Django developers.
Best for the top programming talent
Upstack aims to elevate remote tech teams worldwide through dedicated freelance talent. They look for the best freelance talent by sourcing their developers from all over the world.
They deploy an 8 point hiring process to ensure their site users have access to the best candidates with top-notch developing skills, communication, and personalities. They offer talent in a diverse set of fields including Java, Python, iOS, and PHP.
They’ve worked for big-name brands like Microsoft and Lego. However, Upstack has a diverse talent pool that’s highly scalable depending on the size and scope of your business.Visit Upstack
Read our Upstack Review.
Best for small projects and gigs
As one of the largest freelancing job boards on the web, Fiverr is a proven platform for connecting with prospective freelancers. The site aims to streamline the process of connecting developers with clients in a way that’s efficient for both sides.
You can contact a developer by selecting their profile if you think you’ve found a good fit. Once the terms for a project has been finalized, clients pay the developer upfront. You have about three days to read over the finished product and decide whether to accept a project submission or reject it to get a refund.
Clients look through the site’s list of freelance developers by using its robust filter tools to find the right fit. You can filter developers based on their price range, body of work, and much more.
Fiverr is great for finding developers with a specific niche, as the site has categories for practically any type of development service. For example, if you click on the mobile application development link, it’ll let you sift through candidates based on even more specific guidelines, such as custom app development or web-to-app conversions.Visit Fiverr
If you still want more ideas, here’s a full list of the best freelance websites for developers.
Developer Hiring Guides
If you are looking for other types of technical talent, we’ve put together hiring guides for these technologies as well.
- iOS / Android
Where can I find a Django developer?
There are many places where you can find and hire a Django developer online. If you're looking for a full-time developer, you can try popular job boards like Indeed and LinkedIn. For the best freelancers, consider using a remote hiring platform focused on placing programmers like Upstack or Toptal. You can also find Django developers on general freelancing marketplaces like Upwork and Fiverr.
How much does it cost to hire a Django developer?
The average salary for a Django developer is $102,063 per year in the United States. When hiring a Django freelancer, you can expect to pay $50.78 on average per hour. Django freelancer rates can range from $20-$10 per hour depending on the developer's experience, where they are located, their availability, and other programming languages required.
What are the most important skills to look for in a Django developer?
What does a Django developer do?
A Django developer is someone who uses the Django framework and Python programming language to create web applications. In addition to programming, continued development, and optimization, they will also be required to fix bugs in existing code, and test new code before it is released to the public.